Monday 22 May 2017

Diabetes Bloopers - Wildcard Link List

Whether you or your loved one are newly diagnosed or have been dealing with diabetes for a while, you probably realize that things can (and will) go wrong.  But sometimes the things that go wrong aren’t stressful - instead sometimes they are downright funny!  Go ahead and share your Diabetes Blooper - your “I can’t believe I did that" moment - your big “D-oh” - and let’s all have a good laugh together!!  (This topic is borrowed from our 2011 #DBlogWeek.)


What a topic title!


I've got to admit I've had my fair share of 'bloopers' especially since my first pump arrived! Some of them have already featured in my blog I'm sure but I thought for the sake of giving people a giggle I'd give you a list of some of the most memorable ones!


So day one whilst having my pump fitted I nearly shot myself with the needle! The rep leading the session instructed us to put the inserter over the cannula and draw the inserter back to prime it ready to insert. What I hadn't realised is everyone else had played with the new equipment prior to getting to the hospital, id left mine wrapped in its cellophane. When I picked it up I didn't notice the button you pressed to push the needle into the stomach. Rather than inserting it my stomach it fired at me, missed and stabbed the chair behind me. I was so shocked I started to giggle and it became catching! The whole group was in stitches except the rep who thought we'd all gone mad!


So I'd been at home with said pump for a few days and I'd been noticing strange goings on from my family. Getting up frequently and checking the kitchen a lot - I thought they'd all gone mad. About four or five days in I realised that the beeping on my pump was almost identical to that of both the oven timer going off and the fridge door being left open!  I think my favourite line was when my sister said is that you or is my pizza actually ready!


One of my all time favourite 'bloopers' was out in a supermarket carpark! At the time I'd been registered for the wrong tubing length for my pump. They were that long the pump could reach the floor without pulling on my cannula! I think it was 110cm length rather than 40c. Anyway I was in a bit of a rush and jumped out of the car and with all the extra tubing didn't notice I'd become tied around the wing mirror of the car next to me. s I attempted to run into the shop the force ripped the cannula from my stomach. As if to add to the drama I'd obviously injected into a rather bloody spot which proceeded to erupt fountain style all over this cars window and door, The woman inside lost all her colour and started to look faint. The car and my clothes looked like something from a horror film and my mother laughed so hard I thought she was going to stop breathing! Interesting day.


In a similar thread due to the exceptionally long wire I somehow scooped my pump up with the dirty washing to put into the machine!! I then (because I hadn't noticed) put washing liquid in with it. Then (because I still hadn't noticed) slammed the door shut and pressed start!! As I stood up I realised in a nano second what I had done and in my panic had no idea how I was going to fix it! Lots of shouting alerted mother Nulty who rushed to my aid pausing the machine and releasing the door before any damage could be done!


I once knocked the pump off onto the passenger seat of a car after getting a lift and shut the door behind me, I ended up jogging alongside the car banging on the window!! Thank god it was moving slowly out of a space!


One of my first pumps had optional tunes it would play if it was high or low - you selected them like mobile ringtones. I was wearing it in work one day and my chosen low tune was very sci-fi. In a SMSC meting my pump starting ringing to say I was going low as the presenter introduced the spiritual slides! Lots of jumpy faces in that audience I can tell you!


So you see for those who have a pump you've got to remember the funny moments it brings you and be able to look back with a smile otherwise you'd go crazy. I've got loads more bloopers (I'm one of those people!) but I'm beeping low so better go for lunch!


Keep laughing!  H x

1 comment:

  1. My favorite was going very low at the grocery. I raced to the sugar coated cereal aisle. I ripped open a box of frosted flakes (64 oz version) and I started piling them in my mouth.

    A manager came down the aisle and and asked why I was sitting there on the floor and piling frosted flakes in my mouth. With out a pause, I said because they are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete